Monday, April 4, 2011

Cover art, a readers perspective

As an avid reader I never really paid a whole lot of attention to cover art.  There were notable exceptions Todd Lockwood always did amazing things and I loved his work (mostly on Forgotten Realms books).  That has changed since I decided to do this review blog and have begun to follow several authors on their own blogs.  I love my kindle, but there are times now that I miss seeing the front of the book everytime I pick it up.  There were 2 authors who really brought this to my attention by blogging about their specific cover art issues.  B. Throwsnaill (whose new cover art is fantastic) author of Hemlock and the Wizard Tower and Steve Thomas (check his 3 part series on cover art) author of An Exercise in Futility.

An Exercise in FutilityHemlock and the Wizard Tower


Thanks to these two fine authors for making me realize the cover is a part of the experience that comes with reading a book.

10 comments:

  1. Scott,
    First, thanks so much for the mention.
    I wonder if there isn't a simple solution to this cover art issue? Amazon should change the Kindle to show the cover of the active book when you power it off instead of the pictures of the authors that it does by default. I suppose that one could also "hack" their Kindle and change the "screensaver" pictures to just hold a particular book's cover image (if one is into the hacking thing).
    Thanks again,
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cover art. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but sometimes, a well designed cover is what leads me to pick up one book over another.


    M.J. Fifield
    My Pet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point about Kindle. There's some wonderful coverart on books that should be seen and appreciated. Maybe something they'll integrate for e-readers in the future? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, it would have been cool had you linked to the actual blogs to which you refer, by B. Throwsnaill and Steve Thomas.

    Second, I have a Sony eReader: when you open the device, you are taken to the "home" page; the top of the screen shows the book cover of current "open" book. It's only a thumbnail of the cover, but at least one can see immediately what book is currently being read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marty the links are the authors names. They are both there though. I did not know the nook did that.

    I would love to see the cover art be the screen saver for the book that is open. That way everytime you pick up your kindle you are seeing the cover of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen: I would have sworn that when I ran my cursor over the links the first time round, both links showed amazon.com! Sorry, I think I was mixing up the author's names with the book titles, which are also linked (to amazon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott - you read my mind. I keep fantasising about the day someone invents a smart cover - protection for the device that changes to reflect the book you are reading. In colour. There are some great kindle covers out there, but the thought of something that really does tailor itself to the reader just makes my inner geek melt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about the Kindle. I used to get a surge of excitement seeing the book lying on the table. I love my Kindle though. I'm off to check out the links!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the plug! I'm glad you found that series interesting.

    One of the nice features on the nook is that the LCD shows the thumbnails of the current book's cover in color. Not as nice as full screen, but at least I get to see something.

    ReplyDelete