Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hard Day's Knight review

Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles)
5 stars

"It's almost cute how excited stupid people get when they figure something out.  Like Christmas for morons."
-Jimmie Black

Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles) is the story of two vampires who have a detective agency.  They are also best friends with a priest and try not to feed on people often.  Jimmie and Greg take a simple job that ends up being much more complex then they ever imagined.  They end up fighting demons, clashing with the local police, dealing with witches, and consorting with fallen angels.  Their often outrageous banter had me laughing out loud several times while reading the book and sharing several quotes with my wife.  

This book had me turning page after page and if I wouldn't have started it at 11pm I would have finished it in one sitting.  There is a great mix of action, comedy, and in a few places you get a peek into the more emotional side of Jimmie.  I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fun read and is tired of seeing vampires displayed the same way in everything.  I have already picked up volume 2 and can't wait to get started.

I could not resist including at least one of the quotes that had me laughing so hard while reading this book.  The book is full of great lines like that and pop culture references that were comedic gems.

Other works by John G Hartness:

3 comments:

  1. That quote and your review made me almost fall over myself to get the book. I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I could sink my teeth into. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book has so many elements that work so well together. I could very much see this as a tv show. It kind of reminds me of Reaper. I finished the second book and it keeps bar high.

    ReplyDelete