Saturday, April 16, 2011

N.R. Williams author of The Treasures of Carmelidrium interview

The Treasures of Carmelidrium






When did you decide to become a writer?

There wasn’t a clear cut time when I reached that decision. I wrote short stories most of my life and I dreamed of alternate universes where things were happier. I was a child in the sixties during the Cuban Missile Crisis and can remember going to price the cost of building a bomb shelter. That affected me and I thought it would be nice to live somewhere else or in another time where nuclear war didn’t hover on the horizon. Much later, I shared some writing with my mother who believed I should pursue publishing. That was when I realized I might just be a writer.


If you are not a full time writer what do you do to pay the bills?

I live off my husband, LOL. Actually, my job went to India and other foreign countries because some U.S. politicians decided to give companies an incentive for doing that. I’ve been unemployed ever since.


What was your route to Indie authoring?

I am a long time member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers. I have attended numerous conferences and workshops and until recently I was the moderator of a critique group. I’m still a member of that group but it was time to pass the gauntlet for moderating to another person. After pitching my book numerous times, sending out queries, and receiving the same response back, “We love it, it’s not right for us.” I realized the system was broken. Numerous articles suggested my observation was correct. Then I met with some highly successful indie’s and decided to pursue that route.


Any tips for your fellow Indie authors?

Learn all the tricks. Learn to ask for tags, (on kindle boards there is an entire group of authors supporting each other.) I just read tips on being successful from smashwords. Below is the link, they have numerous slideshare programs to watch. I learned that we need to continue to write the best book we can and to offer one for free. I have one in mind that I can put together pretty quick and offer for free. Now if I was just a computer nerd to understand all the formatting and other issues. (sigh).





What served as your inspiration for Treasures?

I changed the book title repeatedly. Finally I had a pow wow with my children and they suggested the title. I loved it.


What other work do you have available?

I have short stories on my blog. http://nrwilliams.blogspot.com/  but I do not have another book available yet. I am working on the sequel, The Rise of Lord Sinon, and two novellas. You can check my progress on my blog in the pages at the top under, WIP Progress.


What sites is your work available on?

Amazon.com and UK as well as smashwords, Barnes & Nobles, iBookstore and where ever smashwords delivers it too. For some reason, a recent search didn’t find it at Borders.


Are you currently working on anything new and if so when can we expect to see it?

See previous answer. I hope to have two to three more books out by the end of the year. But that may be too hopeful.


Are there any authors that you really look up to?

Tolkein, Lewis, Rowling my friends who are authors, including Carol Berg.


What do you see the biggest challenge in being an Indie author as?

Readers. When we are first published we don’t have a following of readers and we don’t have a big name publisher behind us with support. We need to turn our focus to marketing. Something that proves to be difficult for most writers.


Have you ever been published in any magazines or any national publication?

No.


Do you have a homepage/blog/twitter/facebook etc... that fans can follow your progress or contact you at?

All three above. The facebook and twitter links are on my blog and with a name like Williams there are a ton of us, so the link from my blog is the best way to find me and not grandma’ Williams, whom I’m sure is a wonderful person. http://nrwilliams.blogspot.com/ 


What is your favorite book/series?

The Lord of the Rings, Tolkein, Narnia, Lewis, Harry Potter, Rowling.


Are there any specific sites that you visit for advice or inspiration?

What a question Scott. Yes in fact, there are many. The blogging community has the most generous and wonderful people gracing cyber space. If you want to know more, scroll along my blog roll. http://nrwilliams.blogspot.com/ 

Music plays a large role in your book.  Do you play any instruments yourself?

I play some music, piano, the recorder, once I had a friend who owned a dulcimer and I learned that too. But, I’m not proficient on any. I always wanted to be and I always wanted to play the flute.

What character do you identify with the most?  Why?

That is simple, Missie. She is an American. Strong willed yet pliable. I love her voice and her attitude. She isn’t rude most of the time, but she can get an attitude. Her struggles are heartfelt, the ones I visualize I would have under the same circumstance. She is modeled on the kind of personality who has a goal and pursues it no matter what. Life in Gil-Lael throws her some pretty wild curves.

What age do you recommend your book for?
I wrote this book so that parents could read it to their children without being worried. At the same time, I suspect young children would become afraid of the Symberveen. A monster I created. So anyone nine and older should be able to enjoy, “The Treasures of Carmelidrium.”

1 comment:

  1. awww, great interview! I'm grateful that I popped in here through the challenge :)

    Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge! Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete