Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quality over Quantity

Yet again I do not have a book that starts with "Q" so I am going off of the top of my head.  Quality vs Quantity is something I have read a lot of authors talking about in regards to self publishing.  I am pretty lenient when it comes to typos and grammatical errors.  I honestly don't care that much.  I read to be entertained and as long as a book does that I'm happy, but if there are so many mistakes that I cannot get involved in the story I move on.  Reading is something I love its not a job that I have to focus constantly and take notes to figure out what has been expressed.  I think this is especially important with an authors first novel in a series.  If I read the sample and get hooked I'll get the book.  If the quality of the book stays high you have a reader for the whole series.  If I read the sample and cannot get into the story I won't check out the rest of your series either.  


I have been extremely lucky in I have only run across 2 samples that I rejected because of issues like that.  Reading other review blogs and forums it seems that a lot of people have decided to ignore the self published author population because of too many people not taking their time to edit properly.  I will say that the self published authors I have read and interacted with have made me a fan for life.  I love finding new authors and making new friends and I will try to do everything I can to help self published authors (or authors from small publishers) get some attention to their books.  If there is ever anything I can do to help out just let me know and I'll do my best.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Can't tell you how many times I went through my first book. Found mistakes EVERY time. Very annoying. I'm a really REALLY fast typist, and trust me, it's come back to bite me on the ass quite a few times.

    Just when you think you have it complete, give a copy of the book (printed) and a red pen to a couple friends. Have them go through it and look for mistakes, continuity problems, etc. Then you'll find yourself editing even more when you get the corrected manuscript back.

    Long process, but if done correctly, helps the book flow much better. I just recently picked up a book about self-editing (thanks N.R.!) and have learned quite a bit. I'm working those techniques into book 2. Anything to make the story more professional in appearance, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be terrible at self editing. My brain just fills in the words I want to be there. I have trouble proofreading my reviews and they are only a couple paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're forgiving on typos and such, Scott. It's important to get your work as error-free as possible, but typos are like cockroaches: almost impossible to eradicate, and they seem to breed when you're not looking.

    I've done several proofreads for The White Tree, but I know there are still some errors hanging around. One of the contributing factors is every time you make a revision longer than, say, a paragraph, you can guarantee you've added some more typos to the manuscript as well.

    I've found it helps to proofread my manuscripts on my Kindle, actually. Anything wrong is much more apparent on its screen than when I'm staring at my word processor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good point. I think those who want to self-publish need to have an acquaintance they trust who will be willing to help with editing. I think we just get too close to our work and miss the mistakes because we're quoting it in our heads as much as we're actually reading it.

    Good luck on the rest of the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete