Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jabberwocky by Daniel Coleman review

Jabberwocky
4.5 stars



Jabberwocky by Daniel Coleman is based off of Jabberwocky Lewis Carroll. Each chapter opens with a small segment of the original poem and is followed by Daniel's version of the events that are described. As a person who is not very familiar with the work of Lewis Carroll (outside of the movies based on it) the phrasing used was often very unfamiliar to me. There is a glossary in the back, but I think if it had been located in the front it would have helped me a little bit more.

The characters, mainly Ollie and Tjaden, are well written and easy to relate to. Ollie being an orphan who has no real home of his own, but has formed a bond of brotherhood with Tjaden. Tjaden is a young man who dreams of joining the Elite, a special unit of the military, and serving his land with pride.

This was a quick, fun read that I think anyone can enjoy regardless of how familiar they are with the original work. There are some sneak peeks of other well known characters including the Chesire Cat and the Hatter mixed into the story which can draw in the people who are only casually acquainted with the original works.

Also available on Smashwords

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! Very good timing -- I have some excellent news. JABBERWOCKY just busted into the top 100 Free Kindle books on Amazon! And it's climbing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool on the top 100 thing. I just went over and picked up my Amazon copy to go with my Smashwords version. 4.99 for a paperback is super cheap as well! I may end up getting that too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hilarious thing is that you can buy a used copy for $10 on Amazon. Or a new one for $4.99. Tough choice.

    I have a small favor, going to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't find your email address so I sent you a Shelfari message. I went to Twitter, but 140 characters wasn't enough.

    ReplyDelete