Thursday, July 28, 2011

Through the Flames by Ryne Billings review

Through the Flames (The Sword of Kirakath, Book 1)
4 stars

Through the Flames is Ryne Billings' first novel and he shows a lot of potential. The story follows Caleb on his journey to avenge the slaughter of his village and everyone he knows. Finding his dying father among the burnt out remains of his village Caleb is given advice on how to get revenge. He is told of a magical sword hidden in the remains of his home that will bring him to the attention of someone who can tell him how to get the Sword of Kirakath. This sword should enable him to get his revenge on the people who destroyed his way of life. He meets several more hardships on his way, but he also meets Katie a thief from a nearby city. She becomes very important as she is much more street wise than Caleb, who had rarely left his small village.

The book forms a solid base for a trilogy to be built on as it wraps up pretty nicely at the end, but you are left with a few unanswered questions. The biggest being why was Caleb's village destroyed in the first place. There are also a few characters that have been mentioned in book one, but play almost no real role leaving you to expect to see a larger role in the future. The only criticism I have is that I felt that Caleb kind of coasted through many of his trials and didn't face the adversity (other than in the beginning) to help his character mature.

Overall this is still a very fun read, and with it being the first book written by Ryne Billings the sky is the limit for his potential. I highly recommend this for a fairly quick read with a lot of action.

Links:

4 comments:

  1. I think he did a good job, too. And, I was also curious why that particular village was targeted for elimination.

    Ryne did mention to me that he'll go into more detail in his next book on why his village was massacred. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review and putting it up on your blog.

    I do want to clarify something though. The Sword of Kirakath is not a trilogy. It will be a nine book series.

    As Jeff said, I will go more in-depth on the reason behind the village's massacre in future books, but it won't necessarily be explained in book 2. It's actually the theme of one of the central storylines to the series.

    The Shadows of Caldreth is planned to be released around September 1st, for anyone that's interested.

    Given all the computer problems I've had recently, I've had to push it back from when I wanted to put it out.

    Again, I want to thank you, Scott. I appreciated the in-depth review. You gave me some criticism, and I'll be keeping it in mind for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the misinformation on the trilogy thing. Totally my misunderstanding. Thanks for stopping by and clearing that up Ryne. I look forward to seeing what the second book in the series brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fine. It's a simple misunderstanding. After all, trilogies are incredibly common in my genre, and I only have the planned release dates listed for the first three books on my website.

    ReplyDelete