Saturday, July 23, 2011

Todays interview is with Jason J Sergi about the first book in his The Hero of Twilight series: The Road to the Golden Griffin

When did you decide to become a writer?

I'm not sure if I ever decided to become a writer; I think I was more
forced into it by the fates. Not that I mind, since I absolutely love
to write and would do so no matter where I was in life. There are worlds
and characters out there in the ether that want to be heard and
recognized, even if by only one person, and even if that one person is
only me. Ive written both short stories and novels that have never seen
an editor's desk, and probably never will, because they're for me and me
alone. In short, (and yes, cliche as well) I believe I was born to be a
writer.


What was your route to Indie authoring?

I wanted to write a fantasy story which contained a strong swords and
sorcery element with my own ingredients mixed in. Unfortunately there is
a very small market for swords and sorcery and the moment a
commercial/large house editor sees the words ELF or DWARF, more times
than not if you're a new author, that ms will get immediately tossed
into the recycle bin. The problem being authors like Tolkien
(obviously) Terry Brooks, Raymond E Fiest, etc, etc, have already done
much of what could possibly be done within that aspect of the genre.
Nevertheless, I had a story to write and once written I wanted to give
it the home it deserved. So after an exhaustive search, I found
Wolfsinger Publications and, more importantly, I found Carol Hightshoe,
who is the editor of WP and one of the dying breed of editors still
willing to give a traditional story and a new author the chance they
need to be heard.

Any tips for your fellow Indie authors?

Nothing they haven't heard before. Its a simple formula really: read,
write, learn to accept rejection and criticism and realize that neither
is the end of the world and that both are subjective; practice these
things on a constant basis and success will come in just a matter of
time. And one thing I could add to that is: In the end, it doesn't
matter if the the story is written in crayon or digitally, or so
grammatically poor that only the author may know what message the story
is trying to convey, or what other people may think of it, and that it
truly only matters what the author thinks of it. If she/he is happy with
the end result, then that's truly the only thing that counts when you
strip all the other fluff away--meaning the business end of the
industry, of course.

What served as your inspiration for The Hero of Twilight?

In 2007 or so I wrote a novelette titled, Enigma of the Master Stone.
There was an off-screen character within that story that had always
intrigued me, eventually becoming more fascinating to me than the main
characters of the story. So. a couple of years later, I finally decided
to do some research and find out how this off-screen character came to
be, and was at first shocked by his humble beginnings, and then became
more so as I continued to learn about his life, translating it down on
paper as I went. That project is still ongoing, but the first step of
the telling ended up with The Hero of Twilight as a result.

What other work do you have available?

None at the moment, though The Threat of Saint Flesh, Book 2 in The Road
to The Golden Griffin series will be out later in 2011.

What sites is your work available on?

Every major online retailer, from Amazon.com to everywhere else. A
sample chapter can also be read for free at Wolfsingerpubs.com

Are you currently working on anything new and if so when can we expect 
to see it?

Right now I'm working on a lengthy novel, the first in a planned
trilogy, titled The Vatters of Klon, though that title is always subject
to change until actual publication. I will be finished by April or May
2011, but as to when the public will see it, that's up to the editor gods.

Are there any authors that you really look up to?

Tolkien, since he made it all possible; Robert Jordan, for bringing a
new voice to the genre; George rr martin, both for his exceptional story
telling and his courage when standing up to fans who rabidly demand his
next book the moment his most recent one comes out; John Moressey, for
being highly underrated despite being, in my opinion, one of the best
fantasy authors to ever have existed; and then there's Gene Wolfe, John
Marco, Jeff and Mike Shaara and about a hundred others who I truly look
up to because they all came before me, beating down the path for the
rest of us up and comers, and instilling in us that IT CAN BE DONE, and
done right.

What do you see the biggest challenge in being an Indie author as?

No different from any challenge that would be faced by a commercial
author. We re all in the same boat, all needing the same amount of
attention, and we all have the same tools, it just depends on how
tenacious the individual author is in getting his work seen by the
masses. This is a new era of publishing. With the rising popularity of
e-readers, the avid reader doesn't care so much about how the book was
published, or that it cant be found on a book shelf in some store. They
just want to buy a good story, and if the story is good it will sell
itself no matter how it came to be in existence.

Have you ever been published in any magazines or any national publication?

Ive had several short stories published in Sorcerous Signals magazine
and I have a story called The Hunters coming out in Hungur Magazine next
month.

Do you have a homepage/blog/twitter/facebook etc... that fans can follow 
your progress or contact you at?

Yup, they can look me up on FB: Jason J Sergi, and I welcome all and any
who wish contact and/or friend me.

What is your favorite book/series?

Hands down would have to be The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. That was
and is the first set of books that really got me thinking about becoming
a serious writer.

Is there any news on book 2 in the series?

It should be out before the end of the year (2011).

You mentioned working on another series as well, how is that going?

It's going really good. Can't say too much about it now save that it will be on a much grander scale (pov, content, and size wise) than Road to The Golden Griffin, and potential readers wont be seeing it for some time to come, but I will keep you updated.

Where did the inspiration for a con-squire come from?

Basically, the inspiration came from the traditional "Knight/Squire" relationship, but I wanted to add my own twist. Traditionally, squires are students, helpers, and part time sidekicks. For that role, the Vorcikians have their human squires (ie Bathmal) in order to keep the Order growing, but I also wanted to focus on the sidekick part, though on a full time and intimate basis...so what better way than to have a knight be helped along by a part of himself? To have a loyal, intelligent, and a highly skilled ally that can be relied upon and communicated with in the most dire of circumstances.  Although, Nojo is a little quirky.

What age group did you aim The Hero of Twilight for? (I look forward to reading it to my daughter)

When Im actively working on a project, I dont target a specific age group or audience, but now that Hero of Twilight is written and finished, I think it would be safe for ten and up. I cant say the same for Book 2, The Threat of Saint Flesh, which may get a minimum PG-13 rating, but the series as a whole will fluctuate like that.

How many books will be in The Road to the Golden Griffin series?


10 altogether.

Is there a character you identify with in the book?  Which one?

I can identify 100% with Bathmal. Growing up for most kids in any era is hard and clawing yourself up from nothing, and maintaining the drive in order to do so, can be even harder. It might sound cliche, but he promotes that well known ideal that if you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything, even if it takes years or a life time, and with the opposition constantly telling you it can't be done. So yes, I can and do identify with Bathmal.

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview with me Jason I wish you the best in your future. 

Thank you Scott, and keep that blog rolling!

2 comments:

  1. Jay Iam so proud of you!!!! Great interview. Mom

    ReplyDelete