Saturday, September 17, 2011

Guest blog with S.L. Pierce and Maren Kaye authors of The Devil's Game


First we would like to thank Scott for letting us guest blog here today.  Who are we?  We are S.L. Pierce and Maren Kaye, authors of the psychological thriller, The Devil's Game.  We thought it would be interesting to share how this story came to be.


I (S.L.) was sitting as a Starbucks waiting for inspiration when I noticed this couple.  Except they weren't really a couple.  It looked like they were working on a project.  But what I really noticed was how the man was reacting to the woman.  He seemed like he just couldn't get enough of her.  Like he was in love with her.  However, the woman was obviously not in love with him.  She was friendly but seemed to keep her distance.  So I started writing, as I watched them, with the idea that he was her stalker.  Then it occurred to me; what if someone else was watching them?  And that is how the idea started; a stalker stalking a stalker.  I wrote the first chapter and sent it to my dear friend and very talented writer, Maren, and asked her what she thought and what would she do next.  I'll leave it to Maren to answer that.


When I (Maren Kaye) got the first chapter from S.L., I was hooked!  It was such an intriguing idea, a stalker following another stalker.  I had just returned from a trip to Portland, Oregon visiting my 24-year-old daughter.  She was living downtown in a huge old historic building with lots of character.  The building itself had all kinds of strange features, like huge dumbwaiter type shafts that had long since been out of use and secret stair cases that were locked up.  There was also a mysterious building manager that all the tenants loved to gossip about.  Something had happened to his wife.  One day she was there and the next she was gone.


I couldn't help wondering what secrets the building held and what kind of mischief a crazy person could get into if so inspired.  So I wrote the second chapter.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, I've never written a book as a collaborative project before.  But it turned out to be exactly what I needed.  S.L.'s story telling is fast and furious and it was a blast doing something with as many twists and turns as The Devil's Game has.  It was a lot of fun writing in new ideas and having S.L. take my idea and turn it into something I hadn't even thought of.  It kept us both guessing until the very end, and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

1 comment: