Saturday, September 3, 2011

Lucifer's Odyssey by Rex Jameson review

It looks like the guest post I had scheduled for today has fallen through so instead I will share the review for a brand new book (released Sept 1) by Rex Jameson.  Enjoy!

4.5 stars

Lucifer's Odyssey by Rex Jameson tells a story with some familiar names in a completely unfamiliar way.  I'll be the first to admit that I never thought I would read a story with Lucifer involved and actually be rooting for him.  

The story begins on Earth where Lucifer and his companions are confronted by Michael and set on a path that takes them to their home the Chaos Pattern.  Upon arriving they learn that terrible things have happened and all of the people blame Lucifer's father who sits upon the throne.  With conflict between the clans being imminent Lucifer must flee to seek help from an old goblin friend in order to ensure his proper place on the throne.  

Rex Jameson does a wonderful job telling this story in a completely unexpected way.  Lucifer is a good character and while I didn't really relate to him much (he is still a bit of a sociopath at times) there are parts where it is easy to sympathize with his problems.  There only real issue I had with the book was the magic system.  Pattern magic is spoken of and used throughout the story, but I never really understood much about it.  One of the things I love about fantasy novels is the unique twists that so many people bring to magic, and I would have liked to understand this one a little bit better.  That really doesn't affect they story however it is more of a personal preference in a book.  

Links:

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like he may not have completely understood his own magic system. Einstein says that if you have difficulty getting other people to understand an idea, it's a sign that you don't understand it enough yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a link on my sidebar of book review blogs. Let me know if you want to be added!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Just by from Karen's to say hi - always good to discover a blog supporting indies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scott,
    I wandered over from KarenG's blog to say hello. Love that you support indie writers, since I am one.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Scott! Popped over from Karen's BBQ to say hello. Love spicy food, so I'm glad for your mac and cheese! :) I see you live in Columbus! I lived there for 13 years and am now about an hour southwest of there. So great to meet you and explore your blog. I'll be back for another visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds like a really interesting read and can I just say that cover art is beautiful? Awesome! New follower here from the labor day BBQ! Nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Scott! Was over at KarenG's and found your blog. Happy Labor Day! Will be back to visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Scott!

    Thank you so much for the review and comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my debut novel, and I'll see if I can't improve on the feedback.

    To address Michael's concerns, if you are a fan of Einstein, then you'll probably enjoy the magic system. Unlike many fantasy books that rely on a will-and-the-word type system, this one relies on a bridge (similar to an Einstein-Rosen) back to the primal pattern of the originator for an untapped reserve of energy in a type 4 multiverse.

    In this first book, the majority of the perspectives are from Lucifer (it's his journey, after all :D), and to him, pattern magic is mostly a black art. But from two of the perspectives in the book, the ziplines and the interaction with the wielder are explained in some detail, I hope, and at least enough to give the reader a taste of the epic space battles that happen in the second book.

    If you do have questions about the system, which is explored in quite a bit more detail in the second book, feel free to email me at rexjameson@gmail.com. Actually, feel free to email me about whatever.

    In addition, if you are interested in snagging a free copy of this novel, I am giving away 50 copies at LibraryThing.com. The contest ends on the 14th, so you might want to hurry on over there ;D! Cheers everyone, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete