Tuesday, October 4, 2011

New Blood by Paul Dorset review

A single kiss can get a girl killed. But what if he's the most irresistible man you've ever met? What would you do? 

In a world where big corporations are controlled by a secret society, Beau is on track to have everything he ever wanted and more. And there is only one woman that stands in his way - As long as she can resist falling in love with the man of her dreams.

In this contemporary tale of power, greed, ambition, death and love, what would you be prepared to sacrifice to have it all?
My review:
4 stars

The Beginning of New Blood by Paul Dorset actually had me a little scared.  It started out leaving me worried that it was going to be another example of the teen aged paranormal romance that is saturating the market right now.  Having read a few of Paul's other books I continued to read and what was revealed was not at all what I expected.  Now there are the elements of paranormal romance in the book.  Lucy is a young woman who seems to really want to find a good guy to go out with.  Beau has a gift that makes normal romance impossible for him.  

The story begins with a glimpse at the paranormal elements in the world.  Beau has some pretty crazy powers that help him to advance his career, but leave a trail of corpses in his wake.  He is a member of a secret society known as the Anons that seem to be the driving force behind much of what happens in the world.  He dreams of having real power and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it.  

Lucy is a normal girl from England who is now living in Melrose WA (near Seattle).  She shares her apartment with Sabrina who works at the same company as Beau.  Lately Lucy has been getting horrendous migraines, which render her unable to get out of bed.  She has never had them before and has no idea what could be causing them.  

The characters are well developed and there are a lot of little bits of information laid out that begin to form an image of what to expect.  There are no solid answers on anything however.  After the rocky start I had with the book it really got me interested in what was going on.  I have a suspicion as to what is causing Lucy's headaches, but I have no idea why it does so.  I am also extremely interested in finding out more about the Anons.  Several higher ranking members of the group are introduced and a bit of a taste of their world is given, I need to see more though.  As Beau begins to climb up his corporate ladder it seems that he is being sent to see things that the Anons want him to see and there are some references to a very disturbing research site located in California.  All of these things have really driven my interest in reading the next book in the series.  

I personally really did not like Beau.  I think Paul did a great job developing him as I can see people that I have worked with that remind me of him (hopefully without the abilities he has) and make me hate him for it.  Lucy was pretty agreeable to me except in one instance she seemed a bit out of character which left me a little stumped.   I won't go into details as pretty much anything I say will giveaway some fairly decent plot points.  Sabrina is a good support character for Lucy and I wonder is she has a secret crush on her roommate.  

Summary:
New Blood is a paranormal conspiracy novel that has a wide range of appeal.  There is enough romance to bring in fans of that genre, but the story is not overshadowed by sappy teenage love scenes.  The relationships between the characters bring the story to life in a believable and entertaining way that everyone can enjoy.

The book should be hitting shelves in a couple of weeks (I was lucky enough to get an ARC) and if you are interested you can check out Paul's blog for a chance to win a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment