Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First stop on Ty Johnston's Ghosts of the Asylum blog tour



Fantasy author Ty Johnston’s blog tour 2011 is running from November 1 through November 30. His novels include City of RoguesBayne’s Climb and More than Kin, all of which are available for the Kindle, the Nook and online at Smashwords. His latest novel, Ghosts of the Asylum, will be available for e-books on November 21. To find out more, follow him at his blog.


Ghosts of the Asylum part of much larger tale


I might be insane. For nearly two decades now, I have had a lengthy epic fantasy storyline running in my head. This story features a cast of characters in the hundreds, and spans across thousands of years, with particular characters and periods of time standing out more than others. That’s not the insane part. The insane part is six years ago I decided I needed to write all these stories down for others to enjoy.

Thus came about my first epic fantasy novel, City of Rogues, which is itself only the first book in my Kobalos Trilogy. The events of City of Rogues and that trilogy take place right in the middle of my much longer story. In other words, I did not start at the beginning.

After finishing writing that trilogy, I decided to go back in time nearly two thousand years and cover the early history of another character, Bayne kul Kanon, in a trilogy of novellas, the first of which is titled Bayne’s Climb. For those who pay attention, there are links between Bayne’s time and that of my Kobalos Trilogy, some evident and some not so much.

When I had finished writing about Bayne, I felt it was time to jump back to the era of my Kron Darkbow character. Which is why I wrote Ghosts of the Asylum, a sequel novel to the Kobalos Trilogy.

Between novels, I also have written several short stories in which events take place in my longer series, what I think of as my Ursian Chronicles.

So far that’s four novels, three novellas and a half dozen or so short stories, all to tell one rather long tale. And I’m nowhere near the finish line.

Which is why I question my sanity. When it is all said and done, my Ursian Chronicles could easily include forty or more novels. I don’t even know if I can live long enough to complete such a series, and then there are plenty of unrelated novels and tales I want to write.

Ah, the curse of being a writer. Too many ideas and not enough time.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me and kicking off my blog tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog Ty! I'm looking forward to the remaining 35 or so books in the series lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty,

    That's some impressive scope to what you've set yourself to doing. I suspect somewhere you've got a whiteboard covered with a very large timeline.

    Best of luck,

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!

    Dean, no, I keep most of it in my head. I've got a few computer files, but that's mostly for names of characters and places. I do, however, keep a very basic timeline on my blog.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete