Monday, January 23, 2012

Guest post by Anastasia V. Pergakis author of Cleanse Fire

I'm so honored to be on Indie Book Blog today! Thank you so much Scott for inviting me. For those that don't know, the characters from my book Cleanse Fire, have their own blog. The blog posts are written in there voice, with their words. Fans can also email them and the characters reply.

In order to get to know each character on such a level where I could blog or respond to emails in their voices, I did a lot of  character building before I began writing. I asked them questions as if they were sitting next to me at my desk and I talk to them just like I would my friends. Yes, they talk back. (Should I be worried that I'll be locked up in the loony bin now?)

I have a detailed character worksheet that I fill out for each character. It includes details about what they look like, their birthday, age, etc. But it also goes into deep parts of their personality, their quirks, and mannerisms.

To fill out one of these sheets for a character, like I said, I sit down and simply start asking them questions. I fill in the blanks on the sheet and slowly a personality starts to come through. The initial sit down of course is just scratching the surface for me. But it does give me a starting point so I can begin writing the story.

As the story unfolds, more and more of the character's personality and little quirks come out. I make sure to add any new information to my worksheet so that I can keep everything in one place for future reference.

The best thing I do, to get to know my characters, is let them "out" for character chat with my crit partners. Their characters and my characters get together for a little party of sorts. It's a lot of fun! I really get to know my characters on a deep level during these chats because, they are out of their element. They are in a situation that won't ever really happen in their world or the stories. But I still use what I learn about them as people for the book. It does get pretty crazy with wizards, vampires, and elves all talking together, but it's really a lot of fun.

I also make detailed timelines of each characters life. When they were born, when they started school, and other important dates like graduation, marriage, etc. I have two columns, direct and indirect, events of their life. An example of a direct would be if they got married. And indirect would be if their friend's wife died - it affects them but not as much as if their own wife died. This provides a lot of information and funny stories to come out as I'm writing. In Cleanse Fire, for example, Derac and Tyn grew up together, so their timelines have a lot of coinciding events - and a lot of mischief that they joke
about in the story now that they are adults.

But overall really, the characters just talk to me. It's how my muse operates I suppose, presenting the characters in my stories as real people, at least real inside my head. My husband thinks I'm a little crazy as I will be thinking of a scene or talking with my characters about something in the book, and randomly laugh out loud because of something they said. But of course he doesn't get the joke!

My characters are very real to me and over the course of writing a book, they indeed become my friends. I hope it's the same for my readers!

If you want to see my characters and learn more about them, you can visit their website, http://kinirelite.com The "Team Log" is where they write their own blog posts. It's full of some funny stories and behind the scenes information about their lives. You can also send them an email at thekinirelite[at]gmail.com and the reply will be posted on the blog.


About Cleanse Fire

Cleanse Fire is a fantasy adventure novel, with edge-of-your-seat action. Epic battles, suspense, and a bit of romance too! Follow the Kinir Elite as they track down a traitor and find more than they bargained for.

Complete the mission, no matter what…
Captain Derac Vidor has served Kinir for nearly twenty years. It’s his life, his blood. And then his Commander betrays everything Derac holds dear. Now he has to focus on his own life and his team instead of saving the citizens of Kinir.

Treason is only the beginning…
Fueled by rage, the team chases the source to their Commander’s betrayal – a powerful wizard bent on revenge. The wizard seeks to destroy the Kinir Elite, in both mind and body. No place is safe, even among their allies.

The past holds the key…
Derac’s tragic past may be the key to saving the team. But can he face the gruesome nightmare in time?

Purchase Cleanse Fire
• for your Kindle at Amazon
• for your Nook at Barnes & Noble
• for your other E-Readers at Smashwords
• in paperback at Amazon
• in paperback at Barnes & Noble
• in hardback at Kinir Elite Website

Join the Kinir Brigade by signing up for our newsletter! Get exclusive deals, access to special giveaways, and inside information about the series! Join the Kinir Brigade now and receive the first five chapters in your email! And don't forget to visit our Facebook Page and Website too!

GIVEAWAY

Leave a comment on this post for a chance to receive the great prizes below! You can get more chances to win by tweeting about this post, or posting it on facebook. On twitter make sure to use the hashtag #CleanseFire. Leave a comment on this post to tell me you've tweeted or posted about this with a link for me!

Prizes: A signed paperback copy of Cleanse fire, bookmarks, and a poster of the team signed by each member!

**All Winners will be announced on the Kinir Elite Website on February 1st**

10 comments:

  1. Oooh! I wanna win! Your book looks awesome. Interesting how we all have different ways to get to know our characters. I should try some of these things. For me, I just start writing a scene and let the characters lead the way, revealing who they are little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please count me in . . . :-) This is awesome - The blog posts are written in there voice! http://kinirelite.com, such an informative post. Stuff of this kind always sounds attractive to me. :-)Mia Loveless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great giveaway! I've just added myself to follow this blog. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie you are too cute. I wish you luck! Yes, it is pretty fun to learn how authors get to know their characters. But I think in the end, all of us love getting to know them on a deep level. Makes the writing so much more fun.

    Mia, you are counted! I'm so glad you liked the post and I hope to see you around the Kinir Elite site too!

    Katy, I wish you luck. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by everyone. This is a great prize package and someone is sure to be very happy. I'm hoping to win a copy of her book from one of her other tour stops myself!

    Thanks for sharing with us Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott, thanks so much for having me! It is wonderful to see you stop by all the stops on my tour. It makes me smile to see you go to such lengths to get a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat, great package. Count me in.
    00ibitz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dale, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The winners are announced! Mia Loveless has won a signed paperback copy of the book! Mia, send me an email at thekinirelite[at]gmail.com with your mailing address and I'll get the book sent out to you this week! Congratulations!

    And, for those that didn't win, just so you know, Cleanse Fire is on sale until Feb 6th for only .99 cents at Amazon and B&N.com!

    Thanks again Scott for having me as a guest for my tour!

    http://kinirelite.com/2012/02/and-the-winners-are/

    ReplyDelete