Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ty Johnston talks about his latest book Demon Chains

Fantasy author Ty Johnston’s latest e-book novel, Demon Chains, has recently been released. As a way to promote Demon Chains, and because he enjoys meeting new people online, Ty is taking part in a blog tour running from February 1 through February 29. His novels include City of Rogues, Bayne’s Climband Ghosts of the Asylum, all of which are available for the Kindle , the Nook and online at Smashwords. To learn more about Ty and his writing, follow him at his blog tyjohnston.blogspot.com.

I recently had an extended hospital stay due to problems with my ticker. I’m better now, thank you, but things were kind of scary for a while there.

But being a writer in a hospital for an extended period of time, I experienced a few things that might be different from others’ hospital adventures.

For one thing, my Kindle drew lots of attention. Obviously this isn’t specific to only writers, but I found it interesting the number of nurses and other medical professionals who made a point of mentioning my Kindle. (As an aside, my first day in the hospital I was Kindleless – is that a word? -- but thanks to my thoughtful wife, I soon had my Kindle once more ... I also had my netbook, but honestly didn’t feel much like writing).

Also, the hospital where I stayed had a sizable library somewhere, because each night an orderly would push a cart from room to room and upon this cart were loads of books available for patients. The orderly stopped dropping by my room after the first night as, in his own words, “Man, you’re driving me out of business.” Referring to my Kindle, of course. He was smiling when he said that, so I didn’t think there were truly any hard feelings.

Another thing about a hospital stay is that you have to provide a lot of information to various people. One’s employment status comes up often. When asked what I do for a living, I usually just said I’m “self employed.” Which was always followed up with, “Oh yeah, what do you do?”

I’m a writer,” I’d say.

What kind of writing?”

Fiction.”

Why type?”

Which lead to some rather weak explanations from myself. Sometimes the other person acted excited, but more often than not a sort of glazed look came over their face.

Since becoming a full-time fiction writer, being asked what I do for a living has became the bane of my existence. Why is this? Because most people quickly lose interest, especially when they realize I’m not writing in one of their preferred genres. It seems like everyone in the world is a thriller or maybe romance fan, but out in the general population I don’t seem to run into a lot of fantasy and speculative genre fans. Maybe it’s just my luck.

However, my hospital visit did actually procure me a few sales. More than a few people asked if they could find my literary adventures in e-book format. And soon after being asked, I’d notice I’d made a sale (thanks to my handy netbook).

Here’s another thing I experienced as a fiction writer in the hospital: Everyone brings you a book.

Sometimes it’s a well-meaning friend who drops in to see how you are doing. Sometimes it’s a hospital staff member wanting my opinion about a writer they enjoy. Sometimes it’s even a minister who is secretly a fan of the speculative genres (and provided me with the most interesting conversation I had during my stay ... er, other than maybe the talk in which the cardiologist told me I wasn’t going to die).

Anyway, my hospital stay seemed quite unique. I don’t want to go back, of course, but I had an interesting time while I was there. And since I met lots of new people and sold a few e-books during my visit, perhaps I shouldn’t be so leery of telling others what I do for a living.


I'd like to thank Ty for stopping by and giving us an update on his latest release.  Also good to know that your ticker is still going strong.  

5 comments:

  1. lol nice... selling at the hospital! MC hammer did it out fo his trunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me again for my second blog tour.

    Jeremy, yep, I'll take a reader wherever I can find one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure to have you over Ty. Glad you are out of the hospital and back to writing more wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ebook readers are certanly attracting attention. I've seen the same thing in the coffee house where I meet once a week with several other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to hosting Ty tomorrow at ResAliens.

    ReplyDelete