Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Bakkian a guest post by Jeffrey Poole

Hello! My name is Jeff, and I’m a fantasy author responsible for creating the Bakkian Chronicles. They are fantasy adventure stories suitable for young adults. I classify them as PG-13, with mild profanity (no f-bombs), some violence (no sex), and a healthy dose of humor mixed in. Two books have been released, Prophecy and Insurrection, and I’m presently working on the third, Amulet of Aria. I also help Scott co-moderate the Indie Book Club over at Goodreads.com as well.
One of the quirks about coming up with a name for a fantasy series is that you always wonder how someone else is going to pronounce the name. In my case, I almost had to replace a laptop. Let me set the scene...
It had been about two months since Amazon dropped the price of Bakkian Chronicles, Book I – The Prophecy to $0.00. As a result, my book had been downloaded thousands and thousands of times. That’s great, right? It’s what many indie authors want to see: more exposure. I had people I’ve never met sign up as users on my blog so that they could express thanks to me for offering the book for free. My readers (seems really weird for me to say that I have readers) loved it and instantly bought the second one. Scott, Fabled Reviewer o’ Tales (IndieBookBlogger) mentioned early on that he had his Kindle read the story to him. I had to laugh. I know full well there are some made-up terms in the book and wondered how it’d perform pronouncing words like “bakkian”, or “jhorun”.
One day I was sitting at my laptop, working on the third installment of the series when my grandparents came over for a visit. Now, you have to understand my grandfather was raised in the south, so phrases like “you think I fell off a turnip truck?” were fairly commonplace whenever he was around. This time, though, he approaches the sectional couch where I’m stretched out, propped up on my left elbow and pecking away like crazy at my laptop. Mind you, it’s not the best way to write. I usually can only go for about an hour in that position before my entire left shoulder and arm goes dead and my fingers curl naturally, like I’m holding on to a baseball bat, and I have to roll onto my back and start flexing my fingers to restore circulation. I was rapidly approaching that point when my grandfather enters the room, looks at me, and says, “Damn, kid, you must really love breakfast.”
I’ve been told that when I’m reading, or writing, I tend to tune out the Outside World. Luckily, part of me heard what he said and it was enough to pull me out of Lentari to notice he was standing patiently in front of me.
“What was that?” I was sure I had misheard. Do I love breakfast? Well, yeah, but no more than anyone else. I do love my Frosted Flakes. :)
“You must really love breakfast if you write two books about it.”
Now I’m really floored. “What?”
My grandfather grinned. “Yeah. The bacon chronicles. I thought I loved bacon, but you must really love it.”
“Bacon?” Comprehension dawned. I snorted, and had to clap a hand over my mouth lest I spill my diet vanilla coke all over my keyboard. “Do you mean b-a-k-k-i-a-n? It’s actually pronounced bahkkian.”
“I know it ain’t spelled the same, but that word still reminds me of bacon.”
“Did you read it?”
“Not yet. Once your grandmother is done with it, then I will.”
“I’m sorry to say it’s not about breakfast.”
“Really? Hmmm, that’s too bad.”
Yep, my grandfather thought I had written two books about breakfast’s favorite meat. I personally believe that nothing smells better in the morning than bacon cooking, whether in the microwave or on the stovetop. But he thought I had written two books about it? :)
As a writer, you have to take everything with the grain of salt. Will there be people who don’t understand/get your book? Absolutely. Will humans and e-readers alike mispronounce words you have created? Without a doubt. Will you receive negative reviews? It’s inevitable. You can’t please everyone. If someone takes the time to read your
book, and then they leave their review where everyone can see it, whether positive or negative, then the only thing you can do is be a better person and leave a comment for the reviewer thanking them for their time and willingness to share their opinion. The more respectable you, as the author, are then the more likely it is that the bad review will work in your favor. I’ve heard from numerous authors and readers telling me that they seek out bad reviews to see for themselves what everyone didn’t like. That way they could determine for themselves if they want to read it.
The Bakkian Chronicles have been my first foray into the world of writing. I can’t say that I’m an awesome writer, but I always strive to become a better writer. You won’t hurt my feelings if you don’t like my books. I know there is no pleasing everyone. But if I can make one person smile by reading something I’ve written, then that’s all the affirmation I need.
Scott, thank you very much for letting me blab on and on and on... See you when you hit “L”!

5 comments:

  1. It was long, but interesting. Funny that your grandpa called them the bacon books, or breakfast books. I'm bothered that Amazon gave your books away. I hope you turn a better profit with the next one.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story about your grandfather and your writing position both made me smile. The made up name thing is tricky but I think fantasy readers expect it and enjoy the unique names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like something my daughter would enjoy. She'd rather have a book than a kindle so we have never gotten her one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeffrey - your tale about your grandfather's comment made my smile...my daughter could relate to this with her grandmother (my mom).

    Good luck with your writing.

    Hello JollyJilly - Welcome to the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! No worries about Amazon. I actually wanted to get Amazon to drop book I to free, 'cause I had heard that if you have more than one book in a series, and are looking to get your book out there, a really awesome way to do it was to offer your first book free of charge. That way people could be introduced to your writing style, and if they like it, purchase the 2nd. Let me just say that it worked. Tremendously. :) Many thanks for Lindsay Buroker, author of the Emperor's Edge series, for the idea.

    Susan - I still can't believe he thought it was about "bacon". Everytime I think about it, he still makes me smile.

    Ruth - Thanks for the compliment! I tried to make the books fun and light-hearted. I hadn't originally planned on marketing them for young adult, but after several reviews said they'd be good for the YA crowd, I thought, why not? I've rated it PG-13. Some language, no f-bombs, no sex, some violence. :)

    Pearson - Thanks! There's always someone like that in everyone's family. Mine just appears to be more vocal. LOL!

    ReplyDelete