Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Topper McMullen a guest post by Jeff Dvorak

Topper McMullen

First I would like to thank Scott for the opportunity to take part in the A to Z challenge and talk a little about my writing and my character Topper McMullen. I’ve been writing for over 20 years and I’ve always had dreams of being a novelist. As is usually the case, life always got in the way. 3 months after graduating from college, I became the 15th employee at eBay and writing took a backseat until I finally looked up and couldn’t believe how far we were already into the 21st century.

Anyway, with all my procrastination I was worried about the prospects of spending years querying agents and publishers until a friend showed me an article about Amanda Hocking and a new world opened to me. I put aside what I was currently working on and started on an idea I had come up with about a year earlier. That idea was about a FBI profiler who takes a leave of absence from his team after a mistake in judgment caused catastrophic results in his current case. As he leaves his team to find answers in his own life, he gets drawn into helping clear a serial murder case but without the help of his team. It was an idea I thought could be turned into a series and thought it was perfect for self-publishing. I have planned a total of 5 books. As I write this, I am sitting on a completed second novel and just need to get it edited and have a cover professionally created. As you read this, hopefully that book has been released.

Topper McMullen is a character whose life has been defined by the relationship with his father. They bonded over a chess board when Topper was a child and everything he needed to know in life was learned during those games. Those life lessons took on a greater meaning when his father passed from cancer while Topper was away at school. Topper is guided by those memories and his desire to speak up for those who can’t speak for themselves. He learned at an early age that people found comfort, simply by his presence and he decided law enforcement was the best place to utilize those talents.

He also learned early on that whatever he set his mind to do, he would be successful. Whether it be playing chess, catching a wave or profiling a serial killer, success would come easy to him. It was this understanding that so thoroughly rocked his world when his decision caused the death of two girls. Now he questions everything he’s ever known and whether he can effectively continue as a profiler. His desire to help people overrides his lack of confidence and when a detective from Dallas calls about a case, Topper has no choice but to help.


Topper McMullen is a flawed character marred by the demons of his past. He doesn’t want to let down those around him but he’s afraid to repeat the same mistakes that landed him in his current state. He plows forward hoping to will himself through his funk and it is a plan of action which could cost him his life. The first book in this series is The Trinity Murders and if you decide to give it a chance, I hope you’ll let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the part where this character, Topper, bonds with his father of the chess board. Good luck with the series.

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! This is a fantastic site. It's wonderful to see indie authors spotlighted! Jeff, thanks for sharing your story. Wishing you all the best with your writing!

    Have a wonderful week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete