Sunday, May 20, 2012

Calling all authors, please help if you can!

JH Sked a friend and featured author here on the Indie Book Blog is currently engaged in a very serious project and looking for donated short story contributions to go into a collection to raise money for a young woman with a brain tumor.  She has a couple of posts on her blog with more info about the situation for info on the girl she trying to help check this out.  For details on how to contribute a story (you retain full rights to the work it's just a donation to the collection for the purpose of fund raising) use this link.

I can't imagine the difficulty of this situation and since I don't write anything but reviews I'm a little useless.  However if you are willing to donate a story to the collection and are waiting for a review from me, I will give you a priority status and move you to the top of my TBR pile.

If you do this please leave me a comment on this post with what book you are having reviewed by me and I will coordinate with JH for confirmation of a contribution.  Then depending on how many people jump in on this I will get the reviews done ASAP.

Thank you very much for your time everyone.

Edit:  Here is the submission instructions from the FAQ JH has on her blog

How do I submit?
Please send submissions through as an attachment on a word document to jhsked (at) hotmail.com. Please also include a short bio about yourself, and any other work you have available - this will go into the book as a bit of a showcase for you.

18 comments:

  1. I would be happy to donate a story. There is one I published several year ago that might work. I will check to see if I have the rights and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Joe, it is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story I would like to contribute is best categorized under the genre of fantasy. It's a lighthearted, speculative piece. Is that something appropriate for the anthology? If so I would be happy to submit it.

      Delete
    2. It sounds fine to me, but since Janet is the one who is making the call go ahead and send it to her at the email listed in the post and she'll get back to you with whether it fits with the collection. Generally the stuff Jeff writes is fairly light hearted so it may fit right in.

      Thanks again

      Delete
  3. It's a very good cause. I'm submitting a short story, too. It's entitled: Bakkian Chronicles - The Disneyland Debacle. Chronologically speaking, it falls between the events of book 2 and the upcoming book 3!

    Almost done with it right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What at Disney will be lit on fire? I'm already curious!

      Delete
    2. I'm too much of a Disney fan to do that! :) But I will say that a certain someone is conned into going on a ride they otherwise would not have. Based on true events. LOL!

      Delete
    3. I was picturing a kidnapper dressed like Mickey Mouse getting his pants lit on fire!

      Delete
  4. Scott - thank you so much for spreading the word about this, it means a lot. And I have to politely but firmly disagree with your comment about being useless; without the support of people like you this project won't go very far. - J H Sked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best to keep up to date with the project and promote it to the best of my ability.

      Delete
  5. I have forwarded my tale 'Phantom of the Night' to JH and hope it can be of use in her fund raising efforts. Thanks for bringing it to our attention and I happily submit this story without condition.

    You have listed my book 'Whingeblade' as one you intend to read and I would obviously appreciate your thoughts on it when you have the time. But this is a separate issue to helping raise money for Lyndsey and I do not wish to capitalise on her misfortunes.

    http://www.amazon.com/Whingeblade-The-Soo-nar-Stories-Volume/dp/1456338765/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my copy of Whingeblade and you are on my short list for reviews. Thanks for contributing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you and you are welcome :)

      Delete
  6. I've sent my story "The Garden" and hope all goes well with the anthology. Thanks for helping to spread the word; otherwise I might not have heard about it.

    I did submit my book By Sword and Star via the review sign-up page a week or two ago -- I don't know if that means it's in the queue or what its status is. If you do have the chance to take a look sometime, that'd be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for contributing Renee. I have your request and got a chance to look at your sample. I'm just a little behind on my responses due to a sudden influx and trying to get thing together helping out with this project. I'll send you an email out today and get things worked out.

      Thanks again

      Delete
  7. Hi Scott,

    I've submitted my short story, Cypher, to JH. I wish him(?) the best with the anthology and hope my contribution can help in some way.

    Per the post, my novel you have up for review is Zen's Heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh, last sentence, "her." I wish her the best.

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much Ed. I'll add you to my list for priority reviews as well.

      Delete