Thursday, May 3, 2012

Interview with George Kittleman author of The Great Peace

Hi George, thanks for taking the time to stop by the Indie Book Blog and share a little about your new book The Great Peace. First off lets give the readers a bit of background, so tell us little about yourself.

Originally from upstate New York, I've called San Francisco home for the last eight years. By day, I run a boutique law firm with a focus on the art and entertainment industries. At night, I write fiction and compose music. Occasionally, I sleep.

Are you still active in any bands?

I'm mostly a solo artists these days, although I occasionally collaborate with old friends back east. Slowly but surely I've been recording a new album, which I'm hoping to finish sometime this summer.

So you have a pretty impressive background in the arts. Do the characters have any basis off of people you have actually met?

Just about all of the characters are based on real people to some extent. With the exception of one or two, they're mainly composites that I stitched together from different sources then caricatured and exaggerated to fit the narrative.

Why did you go with name Droit Moral for the name of the oppressive faction in the book?

Droit Moral is an old French legal term that gives artists the right to control the look and feel of their  work. For example, let's say you own the Mona Lisa (congrats on being uber-rich!)  Ownership doesn't necessarily entitle you to, say, draw a mustache on her, no matter how much you may want to. This idea of artistic control and integrity jives well with the hardline beliefs of the book's revolutionaries, who take it to illogical extremes, of course. As a practical consideration: it also looks really cool when written out, so I went for it.

A major theme in the book is the struggle for art as an expression of the individual vs art that is manufactured without true expression. Where did the inspiration for that come from?

I think making art is inherently a selfish act, even if the desire for expression is coming from a genuine place. So when we talk about an art-world or an art-scene, we're really just talking about a group of disparate individuals bound together by what they do, not necessarily how they do it. In The Great Peace I wanted to explore the consequences of artistic hegemony and see what happens when everyone adopts a single dogma. As you can imagine, the results aren't pretty.

Do you have any more books on the horizon?

I'm about halfway through the first draft of a new novel, which is something of a departure from The Great Peace. So far, so good.

Any idea of when we can expect to see the next project?

Ideally I'd like to see my next book release sometime next year, but that's probably a little unrealistic. I'm just going to keep plugging away and see what happens.

Well I'd like to thank George for taking the time to stop by and answer a few questions.  Be sure to check out the book as it was an entertaining read for sure.

1 comment: