Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review - Slipstream by Michael Offutt

“Last night I died for the third time this week...”

Jordan Pendragon is crazy good at fixing situations that have gone bad. It’s a talent prized by his high school ice hockey team. However, when a car accident puts Jordan in the hospital, he wakes up with more than just an amazing slapshot in his toolbox. Jordan can manipulate space-time and in just a few weeks, he’ll depend on it to save his life.


4 stars

Slipstream by Michael Offutt has a very entertaining concept.  Combining Arthurian themes with examples of advanced technology, a society that where the rich buy the life essence of the poor, alternate realities, and spirit animals leads to a book that has a unique feel.

The story that the book tells heavily involves two things that I know almost nothing about hockey and advanced math.  Despite those two things being featured I still really enjoyed this book.  The characters are done well for the most part though I find the relationship between Kolin and Jordan to be pretty creepy.  That being said I also feel the need to put in a disclaimer that there is a pretty intense sexual episode in this book, which is not something I enjoy personally.

I think this is the beginning of a great series and I'll be checking it out further.  I've actually already read book II and will be doing a review of that soon as well.  This is a great book for scifi fans who are looking for some new twists to the genre.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again, Scott. I really appreciate that you also took the time to put this up on Amazon UK because no one but a troll 1-star review person reviewed me over there.

    I'm mentioning this on my blog for the rest of the week. Hopefully we'll get some more people over here to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the review Micheal. No problem on the posting on Amazon UK, I saw that you had a pretty rough review over there. Keep checking for my review of Oculus soon the move is done so hopefully I'll have more time for the blog.

      I appreciate the publicity for my blog it's always great to see new visitors.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the book and your review. It's nice to see if others disagree or agree with my perception of a book. I'm in your company that I'm not knowledgeable about hockey or math, but Offutt excels at making both readable topics within the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Brinda, I also find it interesting to compare what others thought of books to what I thought.

      Delete