Sunday, August 11, 2013

Review - Flank Hawk by Terry Ervin audiobook

I have recently joined Audible.com so I can listen to books on my commute to and from work as well as some time while I am at work.  Since there are some indie authors who have their stuff available on the site I will be doing some audiobook reviews here as well.  First up is Flank Hawk by Terry Ervin, I did a review of the book of this a while ago (here is that review) so this will focus more on the narration and quality of the audio.

I'll use the same categories that Audible does on it's reviews to keep things simple.

Story:  5 stars
Narration: 4 stars
Overall 4.5 stars

This book is narrated by Michael A Slusser.  According to Terry Michael is currently working on getting the second book, Blood Sword, recorded.  I think that is going to be a solid move as Michael seems to be a pretty talented narrator.  Now my experience with these things is still pretty limited.  I've listened to the Dresden Files with James Marsters as a narrator so that is kind of my base line.

I think that one of the biggest challenges for a narrator in a book like this is the voice differentiation.  It can't be easy to modulate your tone enough that the major characters all have a recognizable speech pattern and keep it constant throughout the book.  At first the voice of Flank Hawk didn't sit that well with me, but that was just a bit of disagreement my imagination had with Michael's.  I adapted quickly and was able to enjoy the book thoroughly.

If this book sounds like something you would be interested in or you already have the Kindle edition you can't go wrong picking this up.  In another great reason to support the indie/small pub movement this audio book can be purchased for only $1.99 if you have the ebook already.  If you don't have it it will only set you back 2.99 so for 4.98 you can get both versions and with the new whispersync option you can switch back and forth between the two seamlessly.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for listening to and for posting a review of Flank Hawk! I understand about narrators not getting the voice quite right for me. I find it interesting that often, if I listen to the audiobook prior to reading a novel, I often 'hear' the narrator's voice when I read.

    ReplyDelete